I ate at Rick Bayless’ Red O Mexican restaurant and LOVED it. My favorite dish they served there was something called “deconstructed Mexican street corn”. I don’t care what it’s called, it’s absolutely delicious. My husband and I sat there and studied the flavors. We think we came up with a recipe that closely resembles it.
We call it… Mexican style corn with serrano crema.
AKA Mexican corn-off-the-cob
AKA deconstructed Mexican street corn
AKA get-in-my-mouth-now corn. We had a hard time naming this dish! Enough chat, time for the recipe!
Mexican Style Corn with Serrano Crema recipe- printable recipe here!
Serrano Crema Recipe
- 3 serrano chile peppers, seeded and chopped.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped with the stems removed
- 1 cup mayonnaise (may substitute greek yogurt for a lighter version)
- 1 cup heavy cream (may susbstitute milk, but won’t be nearly as good!)
- salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Done! Now set this aside and get ready for the corn.
Mexican style corn
- 3 ears of corn with husks on
- 1 poblano pepper, julienned
- 1/2 red onion, julienned
- cilantro, for garnish
- queso fresco cheese, grated
- Soak corn with the husks still on in cold water for approx. 1 hour.
- BBQ the corn in the husk until all sides of the husk are charred.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions and peppers in a little bit of EVOO.
- Remove ear from husks.
- Place corn cobs back on BBQ, and cook until outsides are lightly browned.
- Cut the kernels off the cob, leaving as big as chunks as possible (see pics below).
- Add the cut corn to the pepper/onion mixture and saute until warm.
- Serve the mixture on a plate. Drizzle the serrano crema on top (careful, this crema is spicy).
- Sprinkle the queso fresco on top. The cheese is key! If you don’t get this cheese it won’t taste right.
- Add cilantro for garnish.
|sauteing the peppers and onions|
|How you remove the corn from the cob.|
Finished product! Yum!!
Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com
Linking up with these fabulous link parties: The Scoop!, Metamorphosis Monday’s, Inspire Me Tuesday,Do Tell Tuesday Tickle my Tastebuds Tuesdays, Wow us Wednesdays! What’s it Wednesdays, Centerpiece Wednesdays, Creative Ways, Treasure Hunt Thursday, Home Sweet Home , Feathered Nest Fridays, G’day Saturdays, Sunday Best Showcase