This is a great recipe for an appetizer this Fall! What’s great about it is that black beans and sweet potatoes are extremely healthy foods. Perfect appetizer for those with high cholesterol, diabetes, dieters, and also vegetarians!
|Black Bean Sweet Potato Bites|
- Sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- optional: dash of chili powder or cayenne pepper
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes approximately 1/2 inch thick, and place in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until the bottoms are browned.
- While the potatoes are baking, simmer the can of black beans over the stove. Add the cumin to the black beans and a little salt. If you like your beans with a kick, add a dash of cayenne or chili powder. Simmer for approx 10-15, until the liquid has boiled off.
- Now that the sweet potatoes are done in the oven, add a scoop of black beans on top of the round. Add some crumbed cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
- If you want your appetizers more bite sized, choose a narrower potato as those are the base.
- Instead of cumin and chili powder, you could always add your favorite Mexican spice mix to the beans (like Mrs. Dash’s chipotle mix).
|healthy Thanksgiving appetizer|
Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com