With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I’ve been looking for some healthier alternatives to Thanksgiving Dinner. While I LOVE mashed potatoes, I know they are full of carbs and fat. I have been playing around with some cauliflower mashed potato recipes and came up with one that I think is really good AND could fool your guests too!!
|Healthy Cauliflower Mashed Potato Recipe|
I think the secret to this mashed cauliflower recipe is that it actually includes potato with the mashed cauliflower. So many of the recipes that contain only cauliflower don’t quite taste right.
- 1 small head cauliflower that is trimmed, cored, and cut into small florets.
- 1-2 small red or golden potatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp fat free sour cream
- 2 tbsp skim milk
- 1-2 tbsp light butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the cauliflower and potato to the water.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 20 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
3. Drain well and move to your food processor. Process until smooth.
4. Return the cauliflower/potato puree to a hot pan on medium high heat. Stirring frequently, you will need to cook off the excess liquid. This takes about 5 minutes or so. Once excess water has evaporated, stir in the sour cream, milk, and butter.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then garnish with green onions, rosemary, or thyme! Enjoy!
My husband wasn’t too keen on this “faux” mashed potato recipe when we were making it. Then he ended up liking it when we were done! The great part it is that it tastes good and you won’t feel guilty with seconds!
Linking up with these fabulous link parties: The Scoop!, Inspire Me Tuesday,Wow us Wednesdays!Foodie Friday
written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com