The other appetizer we are going to make this Thanksgiving are these pear, blue cheese, and green pepper appetizer bites! It sounds a bit strange, but the flavors actually go really well together and make it pretty dang tasty!
The bites are getting ready to go in the oven…
…done and out of the oven!
- 1-2 sheets of pre-made puff pastry dough, thawed
- 2 Bosc pears
- 2 Anaheim green peppers
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 slice of gorgonzola cheese, crumbled*
- 1/4 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts, roasted
- 2-3 tbsp water
First, prepare the Anaheim pepper relish:
1. Place grill on stove and char all of the skin on the green Anaheim peppers. Wrap in aluminum foil and let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Then wash the peppers under running water and the skin will rub right off. Seed the peppers.
3. In a bowl, combine peppers, garlic, and salt until it forms into a thick paste
4. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a small pan and sauté the onions. Then add the garlic/pepper mixture to the onion and add 2-3 tbsp of water. Cover the pan and cook over low heat until the raw garlic flavor is gone.
5. Set aside until thickened and cool.
Prepare the Puff Pasty dough
1. Let the puff pastry dough thaw from the freezer. Then use 1 to 1.5 inch cookie cutters and cut out bite-sized pieces. I used pie stamp cutters as above. Now would be a good time to preheat your oven to 375F.
Prep the Pears
While the dough is thawing, trim, peel, halve, core and cut the pears into small little slices. Set aside.
1. Put approx 1 tbsp of onion/pepper mixture onto each puff pastry bite. Then add a few pieces of pear to each bite.
2. Bake in oven at 375F until puff pastry is golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
3. Then pull out of oven, and place a few blue cheese crumbles on each bite. Then return to the oven for a few minutes until the blue cheese has melted.
4. Remove from oven once blue cheese is melted, and place some chopped roasted walnuts on top.
5. Enjoy! We liked these better warm!
*You can use other blue cheeses too, we just like gorgonzola! This recipe was adapted from Pham Fatale.
We used all different cookie/pie cutters for our bites. We made acorn bites, pumpkin bites, and turkey bites. I personally preferred the acorn bites, they were one bite worth for me. The turkey was two bites worth!
Looking pretty tasty!
linking up at: amaze me monday The Scoop! Metamorphosis Monday’s Inspire Me Tuesday Wow us Wednesdays! Share Your Style Thursday Favorite Things, Home Sweet Home Feathered Nest Fridays Foodie Friday & Everything Else Sunday’s Down Under
Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com