I made some German pretzel bites. They were good. I thought, what else could I do with these? I know, add cheese. Cheese makes everything better. Then came along… Cheesy Rosemary Pretzel Bites. I only have a picture of a few because, they kept disappearing…
Ingredients (PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet active yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- sliced cheese, your choice.
- fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 quarts water for bath
1. Add yeast to warm water. Let settle for about 5 minutes. Then add the sugar and salt to the yeast and mix in.
2. Add the yeast, sugar, and salt mixture to the flour. Mix together. I used the dough hook on my kitchenaid and mixed for about 5 minutes on speed #2. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
3. Cut dough into about 5-6 equal parts. Roll out on a clean surface. Don’t need to flour the surface, the dough shouldn’t stick. Then make a line in the dough and add cheese to the middle (see picture). Roll until it is about 1 inch in diameter. Cut pieces that approx 1.5-2 inches and place on a lined baking sheet.
4. Place the baking sheet with dough uncovered in the fridge for approx. 1 hour. This is key. This helps build a skin making it have that nice crust.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
6. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. SLOWLY add in baking soda into the boiling water. *caution* this creates quite a bubbly reaction for a few seconds, so add a little bit at a time. Stand back. It will eventually simmer down.
7. Add the pieces of dough into the soda bath. Let it sit for about 10-20 seconds and then remove. I used a pasta server to remove it and found it to be the perfect tool.
8. Sprinkle with rosemary. Bake the pretzels for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Move to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
|the dough rolled out|
|open the dough, add cheese, and then close.|
The finished product. Cheesy Rosemary Pretzel Bites. Mmm, good! Perfect for a party!
This post was featured at:
|Featured on 5/7/14! See the feature HERE|
I’ve linked up with:
The Scoop! at Confessions of a Plate Addict/Stone Gable, Metamorphosis Monday’s at Between Naps on the Porch, Inspire Me Tuesday at a Stroll Thru Life, Do Tell Tuesday at a Vintage Zest, Wow us Wednesdays! at Savvy Southern Style, What’s it Wednesdays at Ivy & Elephants, Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch, Oh the places I have been at the Tablescaper, Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours,
Feathered Nest Fridays at French Country Cottage, Be Inspired at Common Ground, Seasonal Sundays at the Tablescaper, Sunday Best Showcase at Twigg Studios. Be sure to check out all of these fabulous blogging parties! A big thank you to all of the wonderful hosts!
Written by Orange Blossom at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com