DIY Felted Wool Acorns

I’ve got an easy DIY project for you today that’s perfect for Fall!  Felted wool acorns! Aren’t they cute??

This post may contain affiliate links.

The inspiration for this project came from these velvet acorns that are made by Hot Skwash, pictured below.

Like velvet pumpkins, velvet acorns don’t come cheap!

So, my Mom and I had the idea to make our own! We didn’t have velvet laying around, but we did find some wool felt balls at a local fabric store.

We thought, wouldn’t those little wool felt balls work perfectly as little acorns? So, we bought some acorn “hats” off of etsy.

The project is very easy: use a glue gun and glue the felted wool ball to the acorn hat. The acorn hats are from real acorns.

In real life, the seed of the acorn detaches from its little hat after it hits the ground. You can find acorn hats everywhere. DONE!

See? Instantly you have the same look for less!!  I love the fun colors.  I think the colors of the velvet ones do look a little richer, but I think this looks pretty good and it cost a fraction of the price!

While writing this post, I searched for wool felted acorn on Etsy… turns out a lot of people make them. But they sell for about $2 each per acorn! WOW!!  The velvet acorns go for more… approx $5 each!

Let’s look at the cost of making your own: the felted wool balls go for $10 for 50 balls. The acorn hats are $2 for 25… so you could have 50 homemade acorns for $14… the price of 6 premade wool acorns off of Etsy OR two velvet acorns. I think I’ll take mine, thank you! Plus, it didn’t take that long to make!

Hmm, maybe I need to make more and sell them… oh wait. I already have a full time job. Never mind.

UPDATE 10-12-15 3PM:

I was just at Home Goods earlier today and saw they started putting Christmas decorations up.  I found this felted wool holiday garland which would work really well to make acorns. They also had a very colorful multi-color strand too.  You could easily take it apart the garland and make little acorns from it.  The strand has approximately 100 felted wool balls on it for $13, the best deal yet!!

Also, for lunch yesterday we were eating outside under an oak tree and while waiting for our food I also picked up some more acorn hats, this time, for free!

Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com

Where I Party

27 Comments

1. October 12, 2015 / 4:28 pm

They look so pretty, congrats. Although they seem pretty easy to make, I'm not sure I would be able to make them like you did πŸ™‚

• October 12, 2015 / 6:10 pm

They are really quite simple, if you have a glue gun you can do it. Trust me, I suck at craft projects.

2. Anonymous
    October 12, 2015 / 4:32 pm

Very cute! I actually prefer the colors of the felted wool acorns. But what are the caps? Are they actual acorn caps? I'm just trying to imagine some going around collecting acorn caps and then selling them for $2.00 *scratches head.* If they aren't real, (and I can't really tell from the picture) from what are they made?

Very cute project! Thanks for sharing.

• October 12, 2015 / 6:12 pm

They are real acorn caps that someone went and collected from under an oak tree somewhere!

3. October 12, 2015 / 10:55 pm

OK, now I'm on the hunt for acorn caps so I can make some of these sweet acorns! Love the bright colours of felt balls that you used πŸ™‚

• October 12, 2015 / 10:59 pm

If you happen to know of an oak tree, they are likely a whole bunch of acorn caps just laying around! Or, a quick search on etsy and voila!

4. October 13, 2015 / 12:47 am

What a cute project! These would be perfect made into ornaments for a Woodland Christmas tree too. I like the bright happy colors!

• October 13, 2015 / 8:10 pm

oh, good idea! I do plan of having a woodland Christmas tree this year…

5. October 13, 2015 / 1:27 am

You can collect your own acorn caps, rinse them and bake at 250 for 10 minutes– save money. The ease of buying is so you have presorted and cleaned. I totally love this project. The felted wool ball is a great idea because you don't have to mess with making them. Thanks for the post, I am out the door heading to Home Goods!

• October 13, 2015 / 8:10 pm

oh, yes, bake them to get rid of the spiders! I forgot to mention that!

6. October 14, 2015 / 11:59 am

I came over from betweennaps… I am posted right beside you. My Mom felts and I sent her your link. Hoping I have inspired her for Thanksgiving to have a bowl full of them and then I can scoop some up to bring home!

• October 14, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Oh, if your mom felts I am sure she has a few extra felt wool balls laying around… If she doesn't make them, you can I promise they are REALLY EASY to make. Just made 100 more in 45 minutes with the homegoods garland!

7. October 20, 2015 / 1:46 am

You know I love your swan and I actually let out a squeal when I saw your cute felt acorns! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Watch for your feature tomorrow. xo

• October 20, 2015 / 5:02 pm

I like the swan too, the only one I've seen like it is in Schloss Neuschwanstein in Germany owned by King Ludwig! Ha! Thanks for the feature!

8. October 20, 2015 / 1:26 pm

Can you list your source of the felted wool balls? How big are they? Thanks!

frogribbit44 AT gmail DOT com

9. Anonymous
    October 20, 2015 / 2:39 pm

Could you post your source for felted balls & what size they are? Thanks! These are so cute!

10. October 20, 2015 / 7:07 pm

Oh my gosh, these are TOO CUTE! Acorns are hard to come by here, but if they weren't I would so be making these. So clever πŸ™‚

• October 21, 2015 / 6:47 pm

Oh thank you! I have one little oak tree in the backyard that I think has made only 1 little acorn… So I had to buy the acorn hats off of etsy

11. October 21, 2015 / 3:41 pm

So adorable! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

12. October 25, 2015 / 4:51 pm

I so wish I had a home goods store close to me. Saw pumpkin garland online a couple of weeks ago and now this.

• October 26, 2015 / 7:04 pm

I am sure they will eventually come near you as when I first saw them they were only in the Midwest!

13. October 28, 2015 / 4:18 pm

What a fun idea!! I love the colorful wool balls. Unfortunately, in Florida, we do not have a lot of acorns. So, I guess I will have to track those down online somewhere. Thanks for the idea πŸ™‚

• November 3, 2015 / 5:54 pm

Yep, look online! There are *lots* of places to purchase them from!